Did you start this new year with high hopes? Me, too. Many of us create Bucket Lists with huge expectations for the year. If you’re like almost everyone, I bet you never dreamed that life could get as crazy as it has this year. With that in mind, let’s create a revised and 2020 appropriate Bucket List.
- Swim in the Pacific Ocean? How about we replace that with splashing in your wading pool in the backyard.
- Visit a Castle? We could possibly have a family Lego castle-building marathon.
- Bungie Jumping? Do you have a trampoline that you could bounce on?
- Ride in a Hot Air Balloon? Fill water balloons and have a good ole’ battle!
- Tour a jungle overseas? Try to walk through your teenager’s bedroom.
- Italian fashion show? Well, we could start by putting on real pants.
- Attend a Tea Tasting? Buy a tea sampler and have a real tea party.
- Attend the US Open Tennis Tournament? It’s closed to fans, so have a blast watching it on tv.
- Attend an International Film Festival? Check out Prime Video.
- Eating a fine meal in Paris? Get a Julia Childs cookbook and make your own.
These are all just for fun, of course. But, we need a few laughs about now. There are so many really cool things to add to our bucket lists to finish up this chaotic year. Here are some ideas that might really work:
- Visit a local or nearby state park (socially distancing, of course) and picnic or camp. Relax!
- Hike somewhere new.
- Dress up and watch an opera on PBS.
- Learn a new language. Mango is free digitally at many libraries.
- Learn to play Chess with your spouse.
- Youtube-learn anything. (sew, cross-stitch, karate, meditate, sign language, computer skill)
- Read a book that you’ve always wanted to finish.
- Start a blog.
- Adopt a pet.
- Start or finish an online degree.
- Fund-raise for your favorite charity.
- Create a family tree on Ancestry.com.
- Stargaze with a telescope.
- Become a mentor or tutor online.
- Go to a drive-in movie.
- Have an outdoor movie night in your yard.
- Create your own Youtube video. Have fun.
- Make and bury a time capsule.
- Dance or splash in the rain.
- Create art using things you find in your recycle bin.
I’m sure that you can think of tons of things to do, that you have never done before. Create your own Bucket List for 2020, listing your dream ideas. It could be fun to do this and it can bring you many smiles during a stressful time. Let’s all work to make things better for ourselves, our families, and our neighbors.
@2020, copyright Lisa Ehrman